Silver-Encrusted Swept-Hilt Rapier
- Dated: circa 1610
- Culture: German
- Measurements: overall length 125 cm / 49.2 inches
With a hilt of blackened iron, formed of oval bars, comprising a pair of horizontal quillons, the sword has a pair of arms each supporting an outer-guard of three rings diminishing in size towards the base. The upper two rings are canted towards the pommel, while the largest ring is joined by a branch to the knuckle-guard and the lower ring filled with a sprung-in solid plate.
The inner-guard of four more slender bars splayed from a common root emerging diagonally from the middle of the knuckle-guard, their four opposite ends grouped in twos and joined to the median points and to the heads of the arms respectively, with large gadrooned globular pommel rising to a button over the apex of the blade tang, and moulded wooden grip bound with wire between wire Turk’s heads.
The pommel and the outer surfaces of the bars profusely decorated with silver-encrusted ornament chiselled in low relief and inspired by the published engravings of Etienne Delaune, constructed as spiralling patterns of leafy strawberry tendrils carrying both flowers and fruit, enriched with pellets and framing a series of three cherub masks at the centre of the outer-rings.
The inner surfaces decorated throughout with delicate patterns of scrolling foliage lightly damascened in silver, and the plate set within the base of the outer-guard damascened en suite and involving a hare pursued by two hounds.
The blade of characteristically slender tapering form, of flattened hexagonal section towards the base, with flattened rectangular ricasso, and struck with a series of small decorative marks enclosing a two-part neo-Italian bladesmith’s signature stamped within the fuller on both sides, the outer face stamped “A.N.T.O.N.I.O.” and the inner stamped “P.I.C.I.N.I.N.O.”
Source: Copyright © 2014 Peter Finer
by Kate Beaton
two people have kept my makeup answer on that survey/quiz thing
this pleases me
Don’t wish death on your enemies. Wish geese on them. Wish thousands of geese into their life. Geese in their yard. Geese in their car. Geese in their workplace. Geese in their bed. Tiny geese in their hair. Geese in their food. JPEGs of angry geese overtaking their computer. Turn their whole family into geese. Awful hissy mean geese everywhere. A fate worse than death.
happy birth/deathday to my favorite playwright ever, william shakespeare!
LETS PLAY THE “TYPE THESE WORDS IN YOUR TAG BOX AND POST THE FIRST AUTOMATIC TAG THAT COMES UP” GAME: DIRTY WORD ADDITION OK
i want a fic about sansa getting married to loras and margaery to renly then when everyone else is asleep margaery and loras high five each other every night when they meet in the corridor whilst changing rooms and they live happily ever after
1. state your name: Gem
2. state the name that your parents almost named you: Katie. Or Lucy. If I was a boy I was going to be Mark or David.
3. which of your relatives do you get along with the most? my grandparents
4. what was your first job? I worked in a shop, it was shit
5. did anything embarrassing happen this week? I tripped over in public several times, as usual
6. do you miss your ex? hahahahahaha
7. white chocolate or dark chocolate? white
8. do people praise you for your looks? sometimes
9. what is your favourite colour of clothing to wear? black and/or green
10. how do you wear your makeup? RED. THE BLOOD OF ANGRY MEN. BLACK. THE DARK OF AGES PAST.
11. what are some of your nicknames? Gem, Gemmie, Gembro, Gemothy… there’s a theme here
12. how many bedrooms are in your house? one proper one and one box room that actually has a variety of muscial instruments and a sewing machine in it
13. how many bathrooms? two- well, one and a shower/toilet room
15. do you have a car? boyfriend does, but I don’t drive
16. do you work out every week? I never work out. Ever.
17. did you brush your teeth this morning? yep
18. have you ever kissed someone you never saw again? yes, I made sure of it
19. have you ever sung in front of a crowd? only karaoke and in choirs, never on my own properly
20. what kind of bathing suit do you wear? don’t be ridiculous
21. do you like your eyes? they look alright but they don’t work particularly well so overall: ambivalent
22. do you think you are pretty? I look alright, I guess? I have nice hair.
23. who was the last person you talked to in person? boyfriend
24. how much money in your bank account? a fair bit actually, I’m v tight
26. do you want kids? hell no
27. tell me what your backpack looks like: it’s… blue?
28. what celebrity do you think is hot? pretty much anyone who’s ever grown a beard and hit stuff with a sword
29. last movie you saw in theaters: I don’t really remember but I definitely saw the Coriolanus livescreening
30. are you dating the same person you dated last year? yep
31. has someone you were dating ever cheated on you? not as far as I know
32. have you ever cheated? no
33: have you kissed someone whose name starts with a ‘J’? yeah, the first person I ever kissed
34: what do you like to do in your spare time? internet, reading, writing, knitting, crochet, a variety of sewing-type things
35: what’s the cutest thing someone’s ever done for you? I don’t know, I’m cold-hearted and hateful
36: who was the last person you texted? boyfriend
37: how many boyfriends/girlfriends have you had? 4
38: how do you look right now? bedraggled and grumpy, as always
39: who’s the person who first comes to your mind when someone mentions “love”? HADDAWAY
I used to have a load of stuff about fandoms here but basically it all boils down to bearded men in period costume making sex puns. Sometimes also wizards, science, and old lady crafts.
I also run fuckyeahcharlesthesecond. No regrets, just Charlie.
The Lodger: Shakespeare on Silver Street - Charles Nicholl